vrijdag 13 oktober 2023

PS/2 MIDI Eurorack module edition

 

I made a Eurorack version of the PS/2 MIDI project I did a while ago. It features a PS/2 input (which can accept USB keyboards that comply with the PS/2 protocol as well, which my most recent mechanical keyboard does), a MIDI output (now with 5 channels: 1 direct play, 3 recorded and 1 for drums), a 1v/oct output of the main notes and a gate belonging to that 1v/oct. There is also an LED that will show that the gate output works when there is no plug in the jack (this is done to prevent unnecessary energy use by the LED, given that my own power supplies can only supply 300 mA).

The source code is available, and I will try to keep it updated with future improvements. The source code can run both on a 20 MHz PIC16F690 or a 8 MHz one, depending on the presence of the MODULE definition.

F1-F4 can be used to record the different tracks. It can play 4 different drum sounds at the same time, each with a selection of 3 different drums for a total of 12 options. A future module will expose the recorded channels as 1v/oct as well.

Originally I used a Sallen-Key filter for the PWM, but it turned out this created some spiky behavior that especially my Chipz module didn't like on the input, so I switched it to a plain two pole low pass filter.

This is the first module for which I made by own panel out of aluminum, which was an exciting and slightly scary thing to do, involving sawing, drilling, dremeling, sanding and painting. The painting was the biggest struggle, as you can see the bottom part has a slightly different hue.

Geen opmerkingen: