zondag 7 december 2008

Software licensing

In this blog there are many references to software I published using google documents. As you can tell from the source files, this software is copyrighted. This post is to clarify the nature of this copyright.

First of all, you can always contact me regarding the use of a specific file. In fact, I appreciate people contacting me. You can contact me for other things as well. So if there is any doubt, just send me an Email.

PERSONAL USE: Next is the use of the files. Obviously, if you want to try the code, that is fine. There is no warranty: if this file blows something up, it's not my fault. They are on the blog merely to explain how I did certain things for myself.

OTHER USE: If you use the source code (or a modified version) to create something and it stays in a quantity less than 10, there will be no objection from me (but again, telling me would be nice). The moment things become more commercial (even if you plan to give them away) you need to contact me first.

MODIFICATIONS: If you want to modify the code, this is usually fine too, though I would appreciate it if you told me, and sent me an updated version.

DISTRIBUTING: Unless I give permission (which I most likely will do), you are not allowed to distribute the source code, or a modified version of it. Obviously you can create a patch file, and publish it together with a link to my code. Even in that case, it would be best to let me know. In general, I just would like to be aware where my code is going.

Hopefully this explains things. This is version 1.0, if you need a reference. If there is a later version, it will void this one, except for those cases where this one was used before the other one appeared.

Geen opmerkingen: