maandag 7 februari 2022

Pocket Operator (PO-32) to Arturia Microbrute sync

Two birthdays ago I received an Arturia Microbrute which I did very little with so far. Instead I worked on a system combining a Yamaha CS, the Pocket Operator PO-32 by teenage engineering and a TASCAM digital recorder/mixer. However, lately I've become interested in Eurorack modular synthesizers and I discovered that the Arturia Microbrute has some (quite limited) patch options. I also became curious whether it would be possible to include the PO-32 into the modular system and discovered that it has a sync signal, both going in and out and I was curious if I could use this to have the PO-32 control the Arturia Microbrute.

The Internet has quite a few resources here, most of which have the Arturia Microbrute's Gate Out connected to the sync in from the pocket operator (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIobsEA-_cA). Although this seems to work, if you research it closer there are some warnings here. The Arturia Microbrute's Gate Out is rated 10V peak-to-peak, whereas the pocket operator manual states that the sync signal should not exceed 5V peak-to-peak. From all the youtube videos on this it seems it usually works, and definitely doesn't destroy the pocket operator, but there are reports of the pocket operator freezing at certain battery levels. I suspect this all can be easily voided with a resistor network, and I'll work on that soon. However, I was more curious whether it was possible to have the Microbrute get the sync signal from the Pocket Operator through the Gate In.

Unfortunately the Gate In of the Microbrute expects a 5V peak-to-peak minimum (I suspect it can handle up to 12V) and the Pocket Operator seems to output not more than 1V, as shown on p0k3t0's blog. As you know, I faced a problem like this in the past with the RS-232 conversion for the PIC microcontroller, and I thought that I could use the same circuit here. Unfortunately the RS-232 conversion also required an invert, which is not useful here, so I decided to link two together to form the following circuit:

I'm sure a smaller version is possible, but as shown it is very lenient, it's very accepting to different voltages, and the output's voltage is basically whatever voltage you run the circuit at. 4.5V seems to be enough for the Arturia Microbrute, though.

 

Here is a picture of the working prototype I made. I can make a video later.

I used circuitlab to make this circuit diagram, also because it allows you to simulate the result:

It shows that a 0V input voltage results in a 0V output, and a 1V input results in a 4.5V output. When you change the voltage of the circuit to 12V it will adjust accordingly.

The simulator also allows me to measure current usage, which is 2.3mA, which seems acceptable.


Geen opmerkingen: