donderdag 5 februari 2009

INPUT

I'm pretty sure you'll believe that INPUT now works without me showing a screen shot. INPUT accepts only a variable name (and an integer variable only, even) and causes a ? to be displayed, after which the user can enter a number. The number gets converted and can then be used for processing. It was relatively easy, although I had to distinguish i-nput from i-f. There was one bug: as you know I disable the keyboard while the program is executing, in order to avoid characters getting lost (I know, an interrupt routine to gather keystrokes would work, but that is just postponing the problem, makes the code more complicated to debug, and doesn't use the hardware to its fullest extent, as a keyboard has a built in 15 character buffer). When I called the getSentence() code I forgot to enable the keyboard. So it seemed the system just froze. Easily found, and easily fixed.

Now all I need is an random function and some other easy mathematics and I can start porting simple BASIC games. At that point it will probably become useful to write an inport/export feature that allows me to store the written programs. Of course, I could just take the memory chip out and insert another one, preserving the code that way, but that seems rather involved and expensive. An interface to a PC or SD card might be better.

Geen opmerkingen: