zaterdag 28 februari 2009

Places to order parts

In my previous post I referenced Futurlec as a place where you can order parts. Note that they are slow, but they are inexpensive and they have some very unique items. I really like their "LCD8X2", which is the smallest LCD display I have found so far that can still display 16 characters on two lines, and is controlled by a normal HD44780.

If I needs parts quickly, I usually go to Jameco, which is around the corner of my work place. They are more expensive, but they have very good service: you can just walk in, and walk out with your parts within 15 minutes. If you order them over the phone, they can even make them ready for pick up.

For the actual PIC microcontrollers I used to use Glitchbuster, but unfortunately they disappeared. I currently still have a large amount of them from winning the grand prize of the Microchip innovation competition but dread the moment that I would actually have to order more, as none of the websites I mentioned so far carry a good assortment. I might just order them directly of Microchip's website.

Finally, for all sorts of odds and ends, like soldering irons, solder, wirewrap wire, and various PCB, I tend to visit the local Radioshack. Do not buy parts here, as they are very expensive, and inferior in quality. Just look out for those things that will make your life better.

Geen opmerkingen: